Gibraltar Burial

These burial records are from the Presbyterian St Andrew’s Church of Scotland in Gibraltar from 1852 to 1969. The records date back to a couple of years before the building of the church. There is a long history of Presbyterianism in Gibraltar which is closely linked to the many Scottish regiments which served in the colony. Gibraltar is located on the Iberian Peninsula and its commanding position has made it an important naval base in British history.

Every record includes an image of the original document and a transcript of the details from the source. The information can vary but most transcripts will include:

  • Name
  • Age
  • Birth year
  • Death date
  • Burial date
  • Parish
  • County and Country


Some of the records extend across two pages. Use the right arrow to move to the next page. Most images will give you even more facts about your ancestor including:

  • Place of death
  • Time of death
  • Cause of death or disease
  • A number will include notes of a person’s rank and regiment and next of kin

Discover more about these records

The history and work of the Church of Scotland in Gibraltar is closely linked with Scottish Infantry Regiments who have been stationed on the Rock during the last 230 years.

These men and their families have always been foremost in giving of their best for the benefit of the Church. The records are incomplete on the names of early Ministers, but it is known that Presbyterian chaplains were usually attached to Scottish Regiments during their tour in Gibraltar and also ministered to the civilian congregation long before the Church was built.

It is of interest to note that the badge of the Highland Light Infantry is the Castle and Key, superscribed `Gibraltar 1780-1783'. This distinction was awarded for the gallant part played by the Regiment during the last Siege of Gibraltar. The Presbyterian Chaplain during these years was the Rev. Aeneas MacLeod.

There are two memorial tablets in the church for men of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders who died during the periods 1841-1847 and 1879-1882. In 1863 a tablet was erected by the Gordon Highlanders in memory of their comrades who died at Gibraltar and in the Crimea between 1853 and 1858. A second tablet was erected in 1937 to the memory of those who died at Gibraltar during 1934-1937. This tablet was unveiled by General Sir Charles Harrington, who quoted a translation of the Regimental Toast:

Land of Bens and Glens and Heroes,

Land where the ptarmigan flourishes,

And the Stag finds shelter

While mist enfolds the mountains.

And water flows dawn the glen

The memory of the brave shall endure

Health and Victory forever,

To the lads of the Marquis of Huntly.

The names of the men of the 4th Battalion, The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) who died at Gibraltar during 1940-1943, are recorded on a brass plate on the North wall.