We may from time to time provide your personal information to third parties for the purposes of providing you with our services. These third-party providers include payment processors, providers of card validation services, and credit referencing providers. This is necessary for the performance of the contract. We do not keep a record of your credit or debit card details in our systems. Our payment processors do not decide what is done with your data and only process it on our behalf. These third parties may be located outside the European Economic Area; however, we only use providers that provide adequate protection for your personal information at all times.
When transferring and storing any personal information outside the EEA we only do so under one of the legally recognised transfer mechanisms for ensuring the information is safeguarded. These are:
- The country in question has been deemed safe for data transfer by the European Commission (also known as an ‘adequacy finding’);
- The contract for data processing contains the standard contractual clauses laid down by the European Commission to safeguard the transfer of personal information;
- Binding corporate rules – this is where a large company’s own internal processes for international data transfer have been signed off and agreed by the European Commission as safeguarding the information;
- If the information is going to the USA it can be safely transferred to a company that is certified under the EU-US Privacy Shield; and
- Appropriate certification schemes.
We will disclose your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation. This includes disclosing information to organisations for the purposes of fraud protection, credit risk reduction, or the order of a court or regulator.
We also share your details with service providers who assist us with hosting our marketing campaigns and surveys but only in cases where you have consented to marketing or surveys. We will not provide your personal information to other third parties for marketing purposes unless you have specifically consented to this when you first provided your information to us. You are entitled to decline to receive such third-party communications by not selecting the appropriate box on the web form that collects your details or at any subsequent time by logging into your account and adjusting your preferences, by contacting us by email at email@example.com or by post to Findmypast, Clerk’s Court, 18-20 Farringdon Lane, London EC1R 3AU.