- World Records
- Full list of Australia and New Zealand records
- Education & Work
- Queensland Sheep Brands 1877-1900
Records in this collection
- Australasian Medical Directory & Handbook 1883-1900
- Australian Pastoral Directory 1913-1954
- Brands Directory of South Australia / Sheep Brands 1936-1938
- Brands Directory South Australia / Sheep, Cattle, Horse Brands 1901
- Calendar University of Tasmania 1916-1917
- Centenary Catalogue of Farms and Stations for Sale in Western Australia
- Classification List of the Queensland Loco Enginemen, Firemen & Cleaners 1912
- Coffs Harbour District Schools
- Commonwealth Public Service List 1904-1920
- Loxton's Medical Directory 1911
- Medical Directory 1915
- New South Wales Public Service List 1934
- New South Wales, Junior and Senior Public Examinations 1867-1916
- New South Wales, Medical Directory 1903
- New South Wales, Railway Employment Records
- New Zealand Civil Establishment Nominal Roll 1871
- New Zealand civil service examinations 1906-1907
- New Zealand Lands & Surveys Department Nominal Roll Of Officers 1901
- New Zealand officiating ministers 1882
- New Zealand Railway Employees 1896
- New Zealand registered teachers 1906
- New Zealand Return Of Officers In Provincial Governments 1866
- New Zealand University Graduates 1870-1963
- New Zealand, teachers’ examinations 1906-1907
- New Zealand: Sheep-Farmers 1881-1918
- Queensland Blue Book 1870-1911
- Queensland Brands Directory 1920-1952
- Queensland Education Gazette 1899-1959
- Queensland Horse and Cattle Brands Index 1872-1899
- Queensland Public Service 1864-1948
- Queensland Railway Appointments and Removals 1890
- Queensland Railway Dismissals 1879: Ipswich and Rockhampton Railway Workshops
- Queensland Railway Employees 1889-1940
- Queensland School Pupils Index, Parts 1-4
- Queensland Sheep Brands 1877-1900
- Queensland State School Committee Members 1876-1899
- Queensland Teachers Index 1907-1920
- Queensland, Nurses examinations 1914-1925
- Queensland, Reformatory School for Boys admission registers 1871-1906
- Queensland, registered teachers 1860-1905
- Queensland, Seamen 1882-1919
- Queensland, Toowoomba Girls Reformatory admissions & discharges 1881-1903
- South Australia cultivators 1840
- South Australian Education Gazette 1911
- Sydney University Calendar 1887
- The Grazier's Review 1930-1934
- Western Australia Blue Book 1871-1905
QUEENSLAND SHEEP BRANDS 1877-1900
Did your ancestry own sheep in Queensland?
This publication is a wonderful genealogy tool. It indexes the 17,151 entries appearing in the annual lists, published in the Queensland Government Gazette, of brand registrations from 1877 to 1900 (except 1884 and 1891-94). It also lists the brand and description, run or farm where brand is to be used, nearest post town, date brand listed and page reference in the relevant Queensland Government Gazette.
Where it has not been possible to reproduce the brand, a description of it is usually included under the description and position field - for example, bell, anchor, pine-tree, horse-shoe, wine-glass, spy-glass, wheel. There are, however, some brands for which no simple description applies. The original lists will need to be consulted to see these brands.
No lists are available for 1884 or 1891-1894. From 1895, and in accordance with The Diseases in Sheep Act Amendment Act of 1890 and The Diseases in Sheep Acts, the lists followed a different format. No reproductions or descriptions of the brands are included in the database for this period.
- The lists were published annually and listed each registered brand each year (unlike the Horse and Cattle Brands which just listed new registrations and transfers); hence many names occur multiple times - each entry indicating that the brand was still in use during that year
- Several registrations were done by estates of deceased persons and these are indicated in the given name column
- Where a brand was registered for joint owners it has been indexed under each name separately
- Women as well as men registered brands so do not be surprised to find your female relatives listed
- In this database, names are recorded as they were published in the Government Gazette, no attempt has been made to correct obvious errors
- Brand: Any legible firebrand permanently impressed on the nose face or horn OR any brand permanently impressed by means of Indian or other ink on the ear OR any pitch paint or tar brand impressed on the wool or any portion of the body of the sheep. Nothing in the Act prevented any owner of sheep from using distinguishing brands in addition to the registered brand.
- Age: All sheep above the age of six months were to be branded with a brand which had been duly registered.
- Special Symbols: If any brand consisted of a sign or symbol co-joined letters or other than a single letter or numeral the owner had to lodge an additional fee to cover the use of special type by the Government Printer for the annual list in the Queensland Government Gazette
- Letters: No owner or other person could brand sheep with either of the letters S T N and C except for the purposes named in The Diseases in Sheep Act of 1867.
- Annual List: Annual lists of brands were to be published in the Government Gazette as soon as possible after the first day of January together with the names and addresses of the owners.
Exploring your family history or building a family tree?
You might also find your ancestors in our extensive Institutions & Organisations Records