Get lost in 1.8 million new records across the North of England
This Friday's release sees immense additions to our archives.
York, Durham, Northumberland... if you suspect that you have roots in the North of England, then this release is for you.
Looking for ancestors in York? You're in luck - not only have we added 90 years of electoral registers, but this collection alone comprises 1.76 million records. Yes, you read that right.
These records will give you a name, place, district and address. However, make sure to check the original image too - you may find extra information such as the type of property, and whether it was rented or owned.
This collection can not only help you pinpoint your ancestor at a specific address, but could come in really useful for researching the history of your house. Of course, street names and infrastructure have always been subject to change, so make sure to cross reference with census records and local newspapers.
If you think we're done with the North of England, think again. We've added over 16,000 records to this collection.
These records span an incredible 257 years, between 1664 and 1921, and cover 19 churches across the county. These churches include those of Anglican, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, and Methodist faiths, and even cover the Unitarian Free Church in Sunderland. No matter which religion your ancestor belonged to, it's worth seeing if you can expand your family tree with these additions. You can find a full parish list here.
The 9,500 new additions to this collection brings the total number of records to an impressive 758,000.
They cover 1571-1921, an even wider span than the previous additions, and cover 11 churches across Northumberland - check out the full parish list here. These include not only Anglican, Roman Catholic, and Presbyterian churches, but also the All Saints Dissenter church of central Newcastle. The information will vary record to record, but you may be able to gather parents' names and occupations, helping you trace multiple generations.
Remember when we hit 50 million newspaper pages? Well in just a few short months, we've built that up to 55 million, with 308,000 pages being added this week alone. Of our four new titles, you can find Caribbean paper the Barbados Herald, and even a specialist Catholic title. We've also updated 57 of our existing newspapers, so read on to discover everything that's new. When something catches your eye, just head to our newspaper archive and filter your search by title.
- Barbados Herald, 1879-1896
- Tunbridge Wells Journal, 1862-1904
- Weekly Register and Catholic Standard, 1849-1870
- Wimbledon News, 1894-1915
- Billingham & Norton Advertiser, 1988, 1995
- Birkenhead News, 1994
- Birmingham Daily Post, 1910
- Birmingham Mail, 1969, 1971, 1998
- Birmingham Weekly Mercury, 1963, 1980
- Bracknell Times, 1980
- Buckinghamshire Examiner, 1999
- Burntwood Mercury, 1994
- Cambridge Town Crier, 1989
- Central Somerset Gazette, 1987
- Cheshunt and Waltham Mercury, 1998
- Civil & Military Gazette (Lahore), 1939-1945
- Crewe Chronicle, 1988
- Derbyshire Times, 1922, 1931
- Dorking and Leatherhead Advertiser, 1991
- Ealing & Southall Informer, 1993
- Ellesmere Port Pioneer, 1920-1936
- Evening Despatch, 1930-1931, 1936
- Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate & Cheriton Herald, 1993, 1995
- Gloucestershire Echo, 1894
- Grimsby Daily Telegraph, 1993
- Hammersmith & Shepherds Bush Gazette, 1969
- Harlow Star, 1993
- Herald Cymraeg, 1989
- Horley & Gatwick Mirror, 1994
- Huddersfield Daily Examiner, 1999
- Isle of Thanet Gazette and Thanet Times, 1987, 1994
- Kent Messenger & Gravesend Telegraph, 1968
- Liverpool Mercury, 1872
- Llanelli Star, 1994
- Long Eaton Advertiser, 1891-1892, 1902, 1905-1909, 1911-1912
- Nantwich Chronicle, 1998-1999
- Neath Guardian, 1991
- Oadby & Wigston Mail, 1993
- Plymouth Extra, 1986
- Pontypridd Observer, 1988, 1990
- Retford, Gainsborough & Worksop Times, 1999
- Rossendale Free Press, 1897, 1995
- Royston and Buntingford Mercury, 1993
- Rugeley Mercury, 1989, 1994
- Runcorn Guardian, 1905
- Sevenoaks Chronicle and Kentish Advertiser, 1993
- Sevenoaks Focus, 1993
- Solihull News, 1993, 1999
- Staffordshire Newsletter, 1998
- Stirling Observer, 1993
- Stockport Times, 1993
- Strathearn Herald, 1994
- Surrey Herald, 1993
- The People, 1988
- Town Talk 1822, 1822
- Walton & Weybridge Informer, 1990
- Wellingborough & Rushden Herald & Post, 1991
- Wembley Leader, 1990, 1993
- Western Morning News, 1913
- Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald, 1994
We want you to let us know about your amazing discoveries. Join us on Facebook, Fridays at 4pm UK time, for our Findmypast From Home sessions, and tell us about all of the wonderful things you've found.