Explore 450 years of Scottish family milestones with millions of new parish registers
We've published over 10 million new baptism, marriage, and burial records, creating the largest collection of Scottish family history records available online.
This Findmypast Friday, we've added a vast new collection of 'Old Parish Registers' to the site in collaboration with local archives and organizations across Scotland. Read on for all the details on this major new records release.
This is the most comprehensive collection of Scottish birth and baptism records online, transcribed and compiled from a wide range of primary sources.
The incredible new collection features the vital details of Scots from all walks of life, including some of the country’s most famous sons and daughters.
You’ll find records for Robert Burns, Alexander Graham Bell, Scipio Kennedy and many more.
Millions of new regular, irregular and cross-border marriage records are now online, some for the very first time.
Rare “irregular marriages” occurred during Kirk Sessions, were not officially recorded in parish registers and were conducted without a ceremony.
Names, dates, locations, the names of parents, spouses, children, and other biographical details such as occupations, residences, and more were painstakingly transcribed and then digitally converted thanks to the hard work of hundreds of Scottish family historians.
Is your ancestor’s final resting place in Scotland? Find out in millions of new records, published in partnership with local societies, archives, and volunteers including:
- The Scottish Genealogy Society
- Fife Family History Society
- The Highland Family History Society
- Dumfries & Galloway Family History Society
- Renfrewshire Family History Society
- Lothians Family History Society
- Lanarkshire Family History Society
- Glasgow & West of Scotland Family History Society
- West Lothian Family History Society
The collection also includes 20th-century records (most online Scottish parish collections stop at 1855) that provide vital details of more recent relatives, helping you to trace your family tree back from there.
We’ve just added 17 brand new newspapers and updated 28 others. New releases include:
- Ballot covering 1831-1832
- Brockley News, New Cross and Hatcham Review covering 1890 and 1892-1931
- English Chronicle and Whitehall Evening Post covering 1801-1802, 1804, 1807, and 1809-1843
- Glasgow Chronicle covering 1847-1848, 1850 and 1857
- Hampshire Observer and Basingstoke News covering 1903-1916
- London Telegraph covering 1824-1825
- Newcastle Guardian and Silverdale, Chesterton and Audley Chronicle covering 1881, 1887-1888, 1890-1892, 1894-1895, 1898, 1900-1906, and 1908-1909
- People’s Hue and Cry or Weekly Police Register covering 1834
- People’s Paper covering 1852-1858
- Planet covering 1837-1844
- Political Letter covering 1831
- Porcupine covering 1800-1801
- Radical covering 1831 and 1836
- Reformer covering 1831
- South Wales Argus covering 1892-1893 and 1899
- Town Talk covering 1858-1859
- Universe covering 1846-1848
And we've supplemented the following papers with thousands of extra pages:
- Ben Brierley’s Journal from 1882
- Birkenhead News from 1878-1879
- Blackpool Gazette & Herald from 1874 and 1876-1879
- Bridlington and Quay Gazette from 1877
- Brighouse & Rastrick Gazette from 1879
- British Press from 1823
- Coleshill Chronicle from 1951
- East Kent Times and Mail from 1950
- Eastern Counties’ Times from 1898, 1909, 1916 and 1931
- Fulham Chronicle from 1950-1960, 1962-1970 and 1976-1978
- Hull Daily News from 1854, 1890-1895, 1910 and 1912
- Kenilworth Advertiser from 1877-1879
- Leicester Evening Mail from 1911-1912, 1915, 1922, 1924 and 1926
- Liverpool Weekly Courier from 1867-1869 and 1872-1879
- Northern Weekly Gazette from 1868 and 1875-1879
- Oxford Chronicle and Reading Gazette from 1917
- Patriot from 1858-1866
- Runcorn Examiner from 1892
- Satirist; or, the Censor of the Times from 1845
- Sevenoaks Chronicle and Kentish Advertiser from 1953-1957 and 1959-1977
- Socialist (Edinburgh) from 1902-1919 and 1921-1924
- South Wales Weekly Argus and Monmouthshire Advertiser from 1902, 1906-1909 and 1912-1914
- Swansea and Glamorgan Herald from 1861, 1863-1866, 1886-1888 and 1890
- Swansea Journal and South Wales Liberal from 1893-1894
- Teignmouth Post and Gazette from 1905, 1908, and 1910-1911
- Waterford Star from 1893-1898, 1907 and 1914
- Westminster & Pimlico News from 1950-1951, 1953-1954, 1956-1972 and 1979-1980
- Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald from 1975