Discover thousands of new and exclusive military records spanning 400 years
4-5 minute read
By Jessie O'Hara
This release sees two brand-new collections and significant additions to a third.
This striking collection is a directory of biographies for 17,000 members of the Honourable Artillery Company across nearly four centuries.
The information given in these records will vary. Often, you'll find an age and birth year, an admission year, and sometimes a residence or occupation. Beyond that, many records will include significant detail on any remarkable events that happened to the person in question, or sometimes a full biography.
For example, the Prince of Denmark's record can be seen above with particularly in-depth detail on his life, service, and relation to the British crown.
This collection also features some lengthy context on the HAC itself in the beginning of its pages, including the history of the regiment and guides to different sources. This is definitely worth a browse if the HAC is of significant interest to your family tree.
If you've found ancestors in the first collection, you'll definitely want to take a look through the HAC journal.
The first issue of this journal was first published in 1923, though it also documents events and the activities of the regiment before 1923. Initially, it detailed the HAC's service in World War 1, and even includes a poem by Private E N Farnell written in Italy in 1918.
You can search this collection using the 'optional keywords' search, though be warned: you could easily while away hours of time pouring over the stories and tales of the regiment.
We've added 48,477 records to this collection. The Coldstream Guards are the oldest continuously-serving regiment in the British Army.
You'll find different books in these new additions:
- Books 30 to 36 inclusive are attestation books, from May 1946 to December 1981
- Book 44 is transfers into the regiment from 1940 to 1954
- Books 60 to 68 are discharges from 1940 to 1954
- Book 84 is honours and awards from 1914 to 1938
- Book 85 is rewards from 1914 to 1935
- Book 86 is deaths from 1914 to 1918
- Book 89 is from casualties 1940 to 1945
These records will often give rank, regimental number and event year, as well as a full name.
Are you ready to brush up on your local history? This week at the archive sees regional titles from all across Wales, Scotland and England, so now is the perfect time. Read on for a full list of new and updated titles.
- Bangor, Anglesey Mail, 1993
- Blackpool Times, 1901-1902, 1904, 1918-1919, 1933
- Brackley Advertiser, 1960
- Cannock Advertiser, 1923
- Cobham News and Advertiser, 1970-1971
- Grimsby News, 1904, 1906, 1908, 1916-1917, 1923, 1928-1930, 1935
- Horwich Chronicle, 1889
- Isle of Man Examiner, 1905, 1916
- Lancaster Observer and Morecambe Chronicle, 1919
- Melton Mowbray Times and Vale of Belvoir Gazette, 1918
- North Middlesex Chronicle, 1874, 1880, 1889, 1899
- South Durham Herald & Post, 1999
- St. Helens Newspaper & Advertiser, 1902-1903, 1916, 1918-1919
- Wilmslow Express Advertiser, 1981
- Aldershot News, 1906
- Ayrshire Post, 1993
- Birmingham Mail, 1981
- Bracknell Times, 1995
- Brighton Herald, 1925
- Bristol Evening Post, 1984, 1996
- Burntwood Post, 1998
- Cannock Chase Post, 1998
- Chiswick Times, 1904, 1909, 1911, 1913, 1916
- Croydon Advertiser and East Surrey Reporter, 1967
- Ellesmere Port Pioneer, 1999
- Esher News and Mail, 1994-1995
- Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate & Cheriton Herald, 1998
- Gateshead Post, 1968, 1977, 1982, 1984-1985
- Harrow Gazette, 1907
- Harrow Informer, 1998
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer, 1997
- Herts and Essex Observer, 1997
- Hinckley Herald & Journal, 1999
- Hounslow & Chiswick Informer, 1982
- Huddersfield and Holmfirth Examiner, 1885, 1888
- Hull Daily Mail, 1989, 1992-1993, 1997-1998
- Irvine Herald, 1982
- Isle of Thanet Gazette and Thanet Times, 1989
- Lincolnshire Echo, 1994, 1999
- Liverpool Mercury, 1904
- Llanelli Star, 1996
- Loughborough Mail, 1993
- Macclesfield Express, 1981, 1985
- Manchester Evening Chronicle, 1935
- Manchester Evening News, 1975
- Nottingham Guardian, 1877
- Rochdale Observer, 1903
- Rugeley Post, 1999
- Salford Advertiser, 1999
- Sandwell Evening Mail, 1998
- South Wales Echo, 1983
- St. Neots Weekly News, 1997
- Sunday Sun (Newcastle), 1967, 1984-1987, 1991, 1994
- Surrey Mirror, 1969
- Uckfield Courier, 1999
- Uttoxeter New Era, 1910
- Wellingborough & Rushden Herald & Post, 1998
- West Hull Advertiser, 1999
- Weston & Worle News, 1999
If you have questions, discoveries or even just want a chat, make sure to join us on Facebook at 4pm every Friday UK time, where we take you through each record release, discuss our research, and wind down from the week together.