5 free resources to get you started
Finding out about your ancestors doesn’t need to break the bank. There are some fabulous free resources right here on Findmypast including all of the pre-1850 national census results, the 1940 census and the Billion Graves Index.
See what you can get for free
- US Census 1940 Yes, the 1940 Census is absolutely free to search and view. Find out whether your ancestor owned or rented their home, whether they were married, what they did for a living, where they were born and lots more.
- US Census 1840 Find out the name of the head of household and the breakdown of the other members of the household – ages, literacy, number of free people and slaves and various health issues.
- US Census 1830 Find out the name of the head of household and details of the rest of the household.
- US Census 1790 Search the oldest national census to discover the name of the head of household, the number of free white men and women over 16 and the number of all other free persons and the number of slaves owned.
- United States Billion Graves Index Discover the location of your ancestor’s grave and even find a picture of the gravestone.