- 1790 Corfe Castle & District Census
- 1801 Kent, Dartford census
- 1821 Kent, Dartford census
- 1841 England, Wales & Scotland Census
- 1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census
- 1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census
- 1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census
- 1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census
- 1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census
- 1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census
- 1911 England & Wales Census
- 1939 Register
- 1939 Register Original Forms
- Boyd's inhabitants of London & family units, 1200-1946
- Cheshire Electoral Registers
- Cheshire Land Tax Assessments 1786-1832
- Devon, Plymouth & West Devon Electoral Registers 1780-1973
- Devon, Plymouth & West Devon Land Tax and Valuation Records 1897-1949
- England, Pollbooks and Directories 1830-1837
- Kent, Bromley Absent Voters List 1918
- Known missing places from 1939 Register
- London, Westminster Marylebone Census 1821 & 1831
- Norfolk Electoral Registers 1832-1915
- Northamptonshire Freeholders 1795-1797
- Northamptonshire Hearth Tax, 1674
- Rate Books
- UK Electoral Registers 2002-2014
- Wales, Monmouthshire Electoral Registers 1839-1889
- Westminster Roman Catholic Census 1893
Rate books are an excellent census substitute and a fascinating window into civic life in England.
Search for your ancestor in these local tax records and discover if they rented or owned property.
Rates were local taxes. The money collected was used for the upkeep of the churches, water supply, gaols, roads and hospitals. The Poor Law Act of 1601 introduced rates for the maintenance of the poor. Rate payers were also entitled to vote for committee members who oversaw the distribution of poor relief.
The amount payable was based on the value of the property and was collected at Midsummer (June), Michaelmas (October) and Christmas (January).
Rate books are arranged by street and the images can be used to discover who was living on a street when your ancestors were there.
These records can also be used to trace house histories and to learn the names of previous generations who lived in your home.